Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tomatoes


I had written off my tomatoes this year. The horn worms wanted them, the slugs wanted them, and I am a squeamish pest battler to say the least. I figured that though my vines were prolific, I just couldn't keep the pests at bay without spraying all sorts of chemicals.

Add to that the fact that we only had 3 days this summer when the temperature rose above the 90 degree mark. We just hadn't had enough sun to ripen them properly.

Imagine my surprise tonight when I was on my way out to the compost pile and noticed quite a bit of red peeking through the jungle that had developed when the pole beans decided that the huge tomato vines would make a good trellis.

Tomatoes!

Ripe Tomatoes!

Piles of Tomatoes.

Sydney and I filled three dutch ovens and my biggest colander with plum, cherry and a few globe tomatoes. She kept saying "It's a tomato fiesta!".

I'll have enough for 9 pints of salsa and 4 or 5 quarts of sauce. I can taste it already.

I almost hate to eat those beauties above because they are so perfect!

4 comments:

Thicket Dweller said...

Yay! I love those kinds of surprises!

JulieMom said...

Wowee!! So, what happened to the pests? Went on vacation early? Awesome!

impromptu-mom said...

I think they all expired from over-eating, lol.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Your post gives me hope for my tomato plants that got off to a great start this spring, but then slowly started wilting away.

However, in early September, when I had just about given up all hope of seeing even one tomato this summer, flowers started popping up. And I'm thinking flowers must mean tomatoes on the way?

Wow...

I can't believe that this blog still exists.  I had quite forgotten about it.  I still live in my snug little house. I still enjoy t...