Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Masterpiece Classics

I'm not a big TV watcher.

In fact, we've lived in this house for nearly two years and have never bothered to get cable. I love it, but my husband not so much. Sydney makes do with PBS and I am grateful every day that we don't have to contend with the constant barrage of commercials and licensed products.

But every winter, the television event of the year (in my book, at least) begins. I look forward to it with great anticipation. I start checking PBS's schedule in the fall, hoping to catch a glimpse of what's to come.

Masterpiece Classics


Oh how I love costume dramas. Their "Jane Eyre" is one of my favorite movies. Last year's "Little Dorrit" was excellent. It also doesn't hurt that they have done quite a bit of Jane Austen in recent years.

And this year it's "Emma"

And I am in love.

This is such a good adaptation. I tend to collect Austen adaptations. I think that I have seen every Jane Austen inspired movie that is available here in the states. And truly, Hollywood never holds a candle to the fullness and thoroughness of a job done by the Masterpiece Theater crew. This year's "Emma" is a gem. I cannot wait for part three this Sunday night.

Right now, you can watch the first two parts online.


Psst-

Don't miss "Northanger Abbey" and "Persuasion" later this winter. They are also worth the watch!

4 comments:

CallaLilly said...

OOOOHHHH! I didn't know you could watch any of it online!!! Thanks for the info. :) I would love to merge this version with the Gwynneth Paltrow version. I love both versions. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been watching it a tiny segment at a time so that I can savor it longer.

JulieMom said...

I WISH WE HAD PBS HERE!!! I hope you're getting all this recorded, because I will certainly be hunting these down when I come home. :0)

You'll share, right?

impromptu-mom said...

Of course I'll share!

Oh these are so good!

Wow...

I can't believe that this blog still exists.  I had quite forgotten about it.  I still live in my snug little house. I still enjoy t...