Friday, May 6, 2005

Ancient Goodies

I just started reading a really interesting book called The Philosopher's Kitchen by Francine Segan. It is a cookbook (and yes, I do sit and read cookbooks cover to cover. I know, I'm weird) filled with recipes from Ancient Greece and Rome, sometimes reworked for modern ingredients. I was a little wary, having read other books about the time period and hearing tales of candied doormice, parrot livers, and whole roast pig full of nightingales listed as Roman delicacies. But this book is phenomenal. The pictures are so beautiful that you want to jump right in and start eating. Lots of yummy sounding veggie recipes, something we lack around my house, and interesting flavor combinations. The book is also filled with little historical facts and photos, and whenever possible, the author reprints the exact original recipe. Just thinking about the 'Mini Ricotta Fritters' in the desert section makes my mouth water.

Ms. Segan also has two other cookbooks called Movie Menus and Shakespeare's Kitchen which I have never heard of but am now looking forward to reading. Movie Menus looks especially fun. It's a book of meals to make to go along with your favorite movie. Doesn't that just sound like a party in the making?

2 comments:

Hannah Im said...

I love cookbooks and I love learning about ancient times. If you make a recipe from that book, maybe you can post it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited! I think this is my first time being blogged. I'm the author of Philosopher's Kitchen, and the other books you mentioned. Thanks so much for your sweet words.

Please check out my web site: www.francinesegan.com which includes lots of recipes from each of my books.

Happy reading...and eating.

Wow...

I can't believe that this blog still exists.  I had quite forgotten about it.  I still live in my snug little house. I still enjoy t...