Friday, January 16, 2009

And I Thought That I Loved Winter

 
Posted by Picasa


Yes, you are reading correctly. My kitchen thermometer reads -13 this morning. That's -25 for my non-Fahrenheit friends. Which would not be such a big deal if I lived in say, Minnesota or Alaska. But here in Ohio, this is not the norm.

And notice the inside temp. 50 degrees. Inside. We have the thermostat set on 60 to conserve energy. But the only place in the house that is actually 60 degrees is the hall where the thermostat is located. The extremities, like the kitchen and bedrooms, are considerably colder.

So I, who is normally thrilled when the temperature drops, am cranky as a badger poked from its den this morning. I spent the night with a hacking cough, stuffed up head, and a flailing 5 year old who joined us in our bed because it was cold. I watched the sunrise through the completely frosted over window next to my bed, and then stumbled downstairs to breakfast the Peanut.

On the upside, it is achingly beautiful out, with the sun on the snow and the neighbors chimneys laying out streams of smoke.

But who wants aching beauty when you have an aching head?.

5 comments:

Thicket Dweller said...

Yay! A post! Your thermometer looks just like mine. When I went to work at the thrift store on Friday, it was -18! Can you believe it?!? I'm still enjoying it, though, as long as I can STAY INSIDE!

JulieMom said...

Glad to hear from you! And that you're not completely frozen stiff. That is REALLY cold for Ohio, considering that's temp and not wind chill. BRRRR!

And now you have a new project for hubby- installing a wood burning stove!

The Vintage Kitten said...

Wow thats cold. I live in the countryside in the UK and it gets particularly cold as Im on high ground. A few days ago it was minus 7 so we have been huddling around the coal fire.

Brenda said...

THAT is cold!!! Thank goodness you didn't have to rush off to school/work, etc. in that weather!

impromptu-mom said...

Definitely another one of the benefits of being a Homekeeper/Homeschooler! No need to leave the house when the weather doesn't co-operate, lol.

Wow...

I can't believe that this blog still exists.  I had quite forgotten about it.  I still live in my snug little house. I still enjoy t...