Thursday, December 15, 2005

New Christmas Memories

Day 15


This morning my Peanut awoke at 5:00AM, bright-eyed and ready for the day ahead. Mama, who is a notorious insomniac and therefore usually runs on 3 to 4 hours sleep, also awoke at 5:00AM, not so bright-eyed or quite ready to face the day ahead. You see, Thursdays are my errand running days and if there is ever a day that I need adequate sleep to prepare for, it's Thursday. I try to do all of my "running around" in one day to save on fuel and time, but this means that I run from morning until evening and to simplify things, Peanut usually spends the day with Grandma and Papa.

But back to our pre-dawn rising.

Here we were, with a whole day of errands to do, and it was too early to start out. I also knew that if I didn't get started on my day, I would be all too tempted to turn on a Wiggles video and snooze in the chair while Peanut bounced around the livingroom, effectively killing my drive to do anything else for the rest of the day.

Then it occurred to me. Our market is of the 24 hour variety. There was really nothing stopping me from going grocery shopping, even though it was an early hour. So that just what we did. I bundled up the Peanut, got my list, and we were off. Believe it or not, it was lovely.

First of all, it was so quiet and dark. Very peaceful. Plus, it was snowing this perfect movie snow; beautiful even flakes with no wind. Add to that the fact that most of the Christmas lights on our street were turned on and you had a veritable winter wonderland. Peanut and I just stood in the front yard for a few minutes and enjoyed.

The market was not crowded, Peanut behaved beautifully, and I even remembered my coupons. All was right with the world!

I think this has been my first truly magical day of the holidays!

No comments:

Wow...

I can't believe that this blog still exists.  I had quite forgotten about it.  I still live in my snug little house. I still enjoy t...