Friday, June 17, 2005

Mary Jane's Farm

I've been meaning to post about this for weeks but it keeps slipping my mind.

One of my favorite inspiring people, Mary Jane Butters, has just published a book, and oh what a book it is. "Mary Jane's ideabook-cookbook-lifebook" is a feast for the eyes as well as the mind. It's a wonderfully fat tome of info "for the farm girl in all of us". You can read about MJ's background and struggles, get recipes, learn how to garden and woodwork, start your own small business and learn to sew. This book has everything! (there is even a small section on the best way to "do your business" in the woods as a anatomy-challenged female, lol.) I must say that I have picked it up at least once a day since my copy came in the mail.

Mary Jane runs a farm in Idaho called Paradise Farm and puts out a "storefront magazine" called 'Mary Jane's Farm'. I'm sure that I've mentioned her before, because I tend to tell everyone I know about the magazine. I love everything about her issues (no ads, glorious photos, interesting articles) and I have even ordered some of her instant organic food. My favorite so far is the chill-over powder; basically jello made from plants instead of cow hooves. It's very versatile and fun to work with, plus it will gel at room temperature, which makes it great for camping!

Do your spirit a favor and check out this book or one of the issues of her magazine. You will find it soothing and refreshing at the same time!

1 comment:

impromptu-mom said...

Good old J-E-L-L-O is made from calf legs and feet. All gelatine is. they get the gelatine from the collagen in the bones and hooves. In the old days, if you wanted a gelatine dessert, you had to kill a calf. Ever heard of calf's foot jelly? That's why Jello was such a big hit, it took away the dirty work.

Wow...

I can't believe that this blog still exists.  I had quite forgotten about it.  I still live in my snug little house. I still enjoy t...