Friday, October 28, 2005

Peas and Carrots

Peanut and I had a Veg-Out day today. We got out the Play-Doh, spread crayons, colored pencils, and markers all over the livingroom, and dug out all of those toys that I find myself saying "no" to most days because they are such a pain to clean up afterwards. We stayed in our pajamas all day. I fixed popcorn, cheese and crackers, and a nice warm bowl of chili for lunch. We also left the TV on all day (gasp! I should probably have my mommy license revoked!) and watched my Sweetest Day present from my hubby, the first season of "The Adventures of Pete and Pete".

"TAOPAP" is a hilarious (if slightly skewed) little show about the everyday lives of two brothers, both of whom are named Pete. They face all of those normal rites of passage dealt out to American kids in the suburbs. Sibling rivalry, first loves, and evil nemeses with funny names (my fav is "Butt Stripe", the kid with the stripe of mud up the back of his pants from riding his bike in the rain. I went to school with this kid!). It's all there. That mixture of love and embarrassment every kids feels towards his parents, the charms of summer vacation, and the fear of being humiliated in front of the world. All presented in a lovely, off-beat way that made this one of my favorite shows in high school. I never missed an episode.

My husband gives me the best presents!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew I wasn't crazy!!! I always remebered a Pete and Pete character named "Butt Stripe" but no one I ever ask about this knows what I'm talking about!!! (They actually look at me like i'm crazy)I rented the first season from netflix and there was so butt stripe. Do you remember when he's on? By the way, I found your blog by googling "butt stripe" tv. Thanks!

impromptu-mom said...

Jeanette,

It never ceases to amaze me the weird Googles that bring people to my blog! I love sitting down with my site meter and doing a reverse search on people who visit.

"Butt Stripe" appears in the special "Valentine's Day Massacre". He is one of the side-kicks to the evil "Open-Face" along with "Ink-Stain" and "Gravy Breath".

Don't you just love Pete & Pete?

Anonymous said...

YES! Such a great show! I have to confess that I feel like a stalker! I read some more of your entries and it's just weird that we have other things in common. I'm 28 live in northern ohio as well (wickliffe - a little east of cleveland) and i LOVE Harry Potter:) My friends and I dress up for the movie premier as well! Oh, and I totally remeber that Jim henson Otter's jug band special thing from HBO! We grew up watching HBO and Fraggle Rock. It's just so weird to me that I just stumbled across this. I'm new to the whole online journal thing.

impromptu-mom said...

That's exactly how I started blogging. Some weird bit of chance brought me across the blog of a wonderful lady who lives not far from me. I love my blog now!

Are you going to see GOF this weekend? If you do, you must start a blog and post pictures of you and your friends!

Anonymous said...

yes! and we're having a big party before hand. I'll post pictures:)

Wow...

I can't believe that this blog still exists.  I had quite forgotten about it.  I still live in my snug little house. I still enjoy t...