Wednesday, March 2, 2005

Passing it Along

I'm getting on the "Diversion" train. I got this from the wonderful Thicket Dweller.

The Diversion:

1. Grab the nearest book
2. Open the book to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog, along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it. Just grab what is closest!

"These they would fashion into garlands and baskets of spring blossoms to be delivered in secret to friends and neighbors.
Later the children would gather around a Maypole, a large birch branch erected on the common green to which multicolored ribbons had been attached. Each child would hold on to a ribbon to perform high-stepping dances around the pole."


This excerpt is from Sarah Ban Breathnach's "Mrs. Sharp's Traditions". Which, by the way, you should check out from your local library, if you have never read it. It's a book on incorporating family traditions into our everyday life, and here she is describing a Victorian May Day celebration. She goes on to explain how we can create a May Day for our families. The whole book is narrated from the point of view of a Victorian mother (Mrs. Sharp), who is still alive today, and giving advice in the style of the ladies' magazines of the period. I love it, but that's just me. :)

No comments:

Wow...

I can't believe that this blog still exists.  I had quite forgotten about it.  I still live in my snug little house. I still enjoy t...