Saturday, June 10, 2006

Oh vanity, thy name is Woman...

When I stumbled out of/was drug from bed by my early rising daughter this morning, I made a horrifying discovery. As I stood before the mirror, toothbrush in hand, I noticed that I had creases in my face. Not pillow marks but actual little fold marks.

WHEN DID I GET OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE CREASES?!!?

I'm not really a vain sort of woman. I don't wear make-up. I don't use an over-abundance of haircare products. Most days I'm content if my hair is washed and brushed and my teeth are clean. But, as I near my thirtieth birthday later this year, I have begun to notice these little signs of aging. A grey hair here, a little sag there, FACIAL CREASES! I don't remember getting older. In fact, I don't feel any older mentally than I ever did. I have the same sorts of thoughts and feelings that I had when I was fifteen. But my body seems to be telling a different tale.

Maybe it's time to remove all of the mirrors from my bathroom? I don't think my aged nerves can take many more shocks like this one, lol.

2 comments:

The Happy Housewife said...

Remove all mirrors from house. Pour large glass of wine. I'm sorry to say it's all downhill (literally) from here, my darling...

Happy Housewife said...

Either you can remove all mirrors, or you can discover basic make-up! :-)) Of course, the former is slightly cheaper...

*Group hug* for all of us growing old together. I am probably about 3 years younger than you are, but already have black circles, wrinkled skin (really!) and double chin - all of which appeared this year. Looks have nothing to do with age, I insist stubbornly! ;-)